Tuesday 16 September 2014

Red and Green Christmas

Hi and a very special welcome to the Merry Monday challenge.  This week it's my turn to host and I chose what I think is a fun challenge.


I had a vague idea when I came up with the challenge what I wanted to use for my card.  Unfortunately, that idea didn't pan out and I had to go back to the drawing board.  I wanted a really big sentiment, so ended up using a Silhouette cut file.  


My plan was to use the "Merry" in one color and the "Christmas" in a second color, but when it came out of the Cameo, it looked too nice to cut up, so I ended up making two cards.  And because I used a very old NBUS stamp (the poinsettia), I'm also entering this into Darnell's second NBUS challenge.  I've had this Penny Black stamp for many years and this is the first time I've used it.  I colored the image with Copics.

The Silhouette sentiment was clear-embossed three times to give it a lovely shiny, raised finish.  It was then adhered using 3,482 tiny little bits of dimensional tape :) Here's a close-up (and BTW it looks all speckly in this photo, but it's not really).


The second card:


On this card, I moved the sentiment up higher and then thought it looked odd, so stamped the sentiment underneath (from PTI's Two Feet Deep - more NBUS!)

And both cards together:


Congratulations, Darnell on 600+ followers!  What an achievement!

Thanks for visiting.  Please check out the wonderful inspiration from the rest of the design team and give my challenge a go.

Products used:

Stamps:  Two Feet Deep (PTI), Brush Poinsettia (Penny Black)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black
Cardstock:  Old Olive, Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White
Accessories:  Copic Markers, Clear EP, Silhouette Cameo

Cheers
Karren


17 comments:

Katie Melhus said...

What a fun challenge this week Karren and I love both of your cards! The sentiment looks great with all that gloss - nice work!

Kristie Goulet said...

Both of these cards are great, Karren! Thanks for a fun challenge this week. I love the shine on your sentiments. Great job!

Darnell said...

I love this idea for a challenge, Karren, and your two inspiration cards are perfect for getting us all jazzed up to play! Good for you to turn your moment into TWO beautiful cards (which is option #3! in my challenge!) I really love your addition of the smaller sediment on the green one and I'll bet all that glossiness looks awe-mazing IRL!! Thank you so much for playing in my second NBUS Challenge!! Hugs, Darnell

Bonnie said...

This is a great challenge, Karren! And you cards are amazing! I can't decide whether I like the red or the green best! And I'm amazed that you could keep count of all those little pieces of dimensional tape! What patience! Have a great week!

JD/ Jill said...

You've made two beautiful cards for (Your) challenge! Which I hope to find time to join in this weeks. Thanks for the challenge...It's a good one

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Both are perfectly lovely!!!

Deanne :)

Pink Unicorn said...

These cards are so beautiful, I love the shiny finish on the sentiment, it looks great. I had never even though of embossing more than one layer, I will certainly be trying that later. The 3482 pieces of dimensional tape made me laugh, I totally know how you feel, sometimes it seems like you spend 90% of the time making a card just adhering stuff on... I also wanted to thank for the nice words on my chick pyramid card over at Freshly Made Sketches, much appreciated!

Jen Mitchell said...

These are positively gorgeous! I love the shiny words and I'm sure your finger must hurt after cutting all that dimensional tape. Thanks for this great challenge by the way. I love a big ol' sentiment any day of the week!

Notes by Nina said...

Both of your cards are stunning Karren, I love the glossy sentiments and stunnig poinsettia's

Stampin Dj said...

I love the look of the 3 times clear embossing! Great card and challenge!

GeminiJen said...

Your card(s) are very pretty. Great job.

Lori Turner said...

Wow, Karren!! These are so gorgeous - lovin' all the gloss! Have a super dooper week xoxox

Stampingcountry said...

Two lovely card! Really like the glossy look.

Jaydee said...

Karren, great challenge this week. Now... I'm not sure if I prefer the red or the green version... I love them both. I also love the shiny sentiment - what a great way to draw even more attention to it and make it more special. Fabulous
Thanks for having me along as FD this month
Jaydee

Jenelle said...

Both cards are wonderful! I especially like the second card with the sentiment underneath. I love the green words with the red pointsetta.

Greta said...

Love the theme you chose for the week, Karren & your cards are fabulous! Love the shiny sentiments!

Wendy said...

Such wonderful cards, Karren! Love the shiny sentiment and pretty poinsettia! Awesome challenge this week! :)