Tuesday 12 August 2014

Christmas Plaid

It's Merry Monday time again and this week Wendy has challenged us to use pinecones, greenery and plaid ribbon on our cards.



Now I don't own any plaid ribbon at all, so rather than buy some, I decided to sponge my own plaid.  It's not exactly a ribbon, but I hope it'll pass muster.



I've made a few plaid pieces in the last few days and this one was made with Distress Inks.  In hindsight, that wasn't a good idea because the distress inks stay wet for longer, so after sponging each stripe, I had to heat set before placing the mask down for the next color!  I also think the SU inks gave a much crisper and defined line between the colors.  Oh well, live and learn :)

The colors I used for the plaid were Festive Berries, Iced Spruce and Vintage Photo.  I die-cut and stamped the little pinecone from PTI's Peaceful Pinecones set.  The white panel is actually inlaid into the card base, making this a one layer card apart from the die-cut.  The reason for that is because no way on earth was I going to sponge a whole card front, so I cut out the centre panel before sponging!

Thanks for visiting.  I hope you have time to check out the rest of the design team's creations.

Products used:

Stamps:  Peaceful Pinecones, Signature Christmas (PTI)
Ink:  Early Espresso (SU), Vintage Photo, Festive Berries, Iced Spruce (Ranger)
Cardstock:  Whisper White
Accessories:  Peaceful Pinecones die, Lil Inkers Stitched Mats Rectangles, Always Artichoke and Early Espresso markers

Cheers
Karren

12 comments:

Lori Turner said...

Karren, I LOVE your plaid background! The colors are so rich! Gorgeous card girl! xoxox

Katie Melhus said...

I love the warm rich background you made - the color combo looks great! Gorgeous card Karren :)

Wendy said...

So pretty, Karren! I just love your take on the plaid ribbon and really love the warm colors! Wonderful card, my friend! :)

Kristie Goulet said...

LOVE your plaid background and that the rest of the card is CAS!! Perfect!!! Have a great week, Karren!

Greta said...

What a beautiful card!

Bonnie said...

Love how you made your ribbon and used it for the background! Great idea to inset the diecut! Easy mailing and a beautiful card! Have a great week, Karren!

Jen Mitchell said...

Your plaids look so much better than mine! I like how you sponged each color right next to each other. The look is so rich. Nice way to compromise on the ribbon!

Notes by Nina said...

Fabulous CAS looking card Karren, I love your plaid background.

LeAnne said...

Wow, you are the plaid QUEEN! Love this...and your other plaid creations are pretty darn sweet too!

Kathy Schweinfurth said...

Karren, I adore the clean look of your card and that plaid is AWESOME! Hope you have a terrific week!

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Beautiful! I love the sentiment!! Another gorgeous card Karren!

Deanne :)

Debbie Henderson Debbie's Designs said...

Wow Karren, what a great job with the plaid background. Lots of lovin' went into this card!