Thursday 27 March 2014

Ombre Embossing Paste

Hi everyone and welcome back to another Freshly Made Sketch challenge!  This week our hostess is the one-and-only Jen Mitchell, who has given us this fun sketch to play with.



Now when you see my card, you'll likely think - well, she didn't stick to the sketch!  And you'd be right!  When I drew the sketch onto scrap paper, I neglected to note that the vertical panel was off-center.  And I've only just realised now!  Doh!  



While I love the stenciled panel and the sentiment on this card, the feathery/leafy blob just doesn't look right, but I couldn't spend any more time on it!  In my defense, I've spent all my spare time over the last two weeks packing up our house, as movers are taking into storage about 80% of our belongings so that tradesmen can do the repairs following the two major earthquakes in 2010 and 2011 (with a couple hundred thousand houses to repair, it can take a while...).  Now, I can easily live without a lot of my clothes and I use my iPad for reading but losing 90% of my stamps for 6 weeks is heart-breaking.  As I was packing things up, I kept thinking "I might need that" but I had to be ruthless.  To console myself, I have a rather large Simon Says Stamp order on its way to me ;)

Anyway, enough chatter.  I went for an ombre look with my embossing paste, by adding slightly more ink to the paste as I moved down the stencil.  Before it dried, I added some Dazzling Diamonds glitter and gave it a quick heat set.

I know the rest of the design team have wonderful inspiration for you so head on over to the challenge site and check it out!

Thanks for looking.

Products used:

Stamps:  Oh Happy Day (Avery Elle)
Ink:  Dusty Concord Distress Ink, Versamark
Cardstock:  Eggplant Envy, Basic Black, Whisper White
Accessories: Doily, Feather die (SSS), Little Leaves Sizzlet (SU), White EP, SSS Stencil, Dazzling Diamonds (SU)

Cheers
Karren

11 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Oh happy day is right! That background effect is stunning......love the shading and sparkle.....wowza! Hope your six weeks goes by quickly and the repairs stay on schedule!

Tinabobina99 said...

Adore this! I'm going to figure out how to do it using all Stampin' Up! products. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bonnie said...

I love your sparkly embossing paste and the rich purples! OMG! However will you survive with only 10% of your stamping stuff? I hope you have a sizable order coming in and you may find you need to order frequently in the next few months!

Jen Mitchell said...

Wow. Just wow. Look at you with the ombre coloring. I think you have officially mastered the art of embossing paste! And the feathery/leafy blob is perfect!

Scrappy Géri said...

That's a masterpiece! Your card is just beautiful!!! :)

Jen Brum said...

What Karren! This is amazing! I love that purple! So striking! I think you deserve a medal for surviving 6 weeks with barely any craft supplies!!!

Cindy Hall said...

I love your card, but I'm really impressed with your scheme to get more stuff! Pack up 90% then have too few items to get by and have to order more. Pure genius! I love the sentiment and font, and the stenciled panel is awesome.

Amy O said...

That stenciled background is amazing! I would have never thought to add the glitter to it. And I love the ombre effect!

Laurie Unger said...

Wowza! this is fabulous!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh wow this is so effective and so modern!

Rita W said...

I was wondering how you did that! It looks AMAZING! I can't make friends with embossing paste, but you... just wow!